Durban Township and Freedom Trail Tour
Experience a tour of the township of KwaMashu. Learn more about the Zulu people, their history, culture and traditions. Visit the home of Mahatma Gandhi as well as the birthplace of the ANC. Try a bunny chow for lunch!
The largest indigenous group in South Africa is the Zulu people and their history has shaped the South Africa we know and love today. On this day tour you’ll get to learn more about the Zulu people, from their history to their traditions and culture. You’ll also get to visit the home of Mahatma Gandhi as well as the Ohlanga Institute where Nelson Mandela cast the first free and fair election vote in South Africa.
Durban Township Tour Itinerary
You’ll be collected at 8:30am by your guide and on route to the township of KwaMashu you’ll learn about the history of Durban and the Zulu people. On arrival at KwaMashu you’ll get to hear about the history of Apartheid and the township system that started in Durban.
Next up we visit the home of Mahatma Gandhi where he not only lived but also ran his printing press publishing the first Indian newspaper in South Africa, the “Indian Opinion”.
After this we head to the Ohlanga Institute and learn more about why Nelson Mandela chose this small township in Durban to cast the first free and fair election vote in South Africa.
Finally we head out to the Victoria Street Market where the Indian and Zulu people were given permission to trade in Durban. Out of this came the fantastic spice market that is popular with locals and tourists alike!
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation in the Durban area.
- Entry to all sites.
- A private and knowledgeable guide.
- Visit to the Victoria Spice Market.
- Lunch is for your account.
- Tips and curios.
- Price is per person.
- Minimum 2 person required.
- Pick up is at 8:30am (depending on location).
- Drop off at 3pm (depending on location).
How to Book This Tour
- Give us a call on the office mobile: +27 (0) 74 995 66669
- Send an email to info[@]durbansafarisandtours.com
- Use the convenient contact form below.
Some images from this tour.