As a UK military history buff, you’re probably no stranger to the Battle of Isandlwana and the Defence of Rorke’s Drift. Of course you needn’t be a history buff to be familiar with the two battles, the films “Zulu” and “Zulu Dawn” did much to promote this historic events in South Africa’s history.
These two battles, fought on the same day in 1879, just hours apart, were some of the most significant events in the Anglo-Zulu War, and they continue to fascinate historians and military enthusiasts to this day.
Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana: Escorted Tours
If you’re planning a trip to South Africa, be sure to add a visit to the battlefields of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift to your itinerary. We here at Durban Safaris and Tours have been offering fully escorted tours to the battlefields of Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana for over 10 years.
We offer a variety of tour options, including day trips, overnight trips, and even 3-day tours. All of our tours are led by experienced and knowledgeable guides who will share the fascinating history of the Anglo-Zulu War and the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift.
On a Durban Safaris and Tours tour, you’ll visit both the Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift battlefields, as well as the Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift museums. You’ll learn about the tactics and strategies used by the British and Zulu armies, and you’ll see the actual battlefields where these momentous events took place.
In addition to learning about the history of the Anglo-Zulu War, you’ll also have the opportunity to learn about the Zulu people and their culture. We will share insights into Zulu customs and traditions, and help you understand the events that took place the Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana from a South African perspective.
No matter which type of tour you choose, you’re sure to have a memorable experience visiting the battlefields of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift with Durban Safaris and Tours. Book your tour today and start planning your adventure!
As an added bonus you can even extend your visit by adding a safari tour to the end of your battlefields tour and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Big 5 in the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve!
Here are a few of the benefits of booking a tour with Durban Safaris and Tours:
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides who are passionate about the history of the Anglo-Zulu War,
- Small group sizes to ensure a personalised experience,
- Comfortable transportation to and from the battlefields,
- Snacks and bottled water included,
- Affordable prices.
Here are a few of the tour options offered by Durban Safaris and Tours:
- Day Tour: This tour departs from Durban early in the morning and returns to Durban in the evening. It includes visits to both the Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift battlefields, as well as lunch and refreshments.
- Overnight Tour: This tour departs from Durban in the afternoon and arrives at the battlefields in the evening. It includes accommodation, dinner and breakfast, and guided tours of both battlefields.
- 3-Day Tour: This tour includes visits to additional historical sites in the area, such as the Fugitives’ Drift battlefield and the Hlobane battlefield. It also includes more time to explore the battlefields themselves and learn about the tactics and strategies used by the British and Zulu armies.