Cruise ships stopping in Durban harbour are usually in just for the day, arriving early in the morning and departing late in the evening. Fortunately for everyone, Durban is not a particularly big town and so most of the shore excursions we offer are perfect for ship passengers to enjoy.
Below is the list of tours I offer with a brief description of each tour and the link to the tour page itself. It’s still best to get into touch with me to confirm pricing and schedules. Of course cruise ships schedules are not always perfect so we are more than happy to adjust our schedule to suit your time in Durban.
The Durban Shore Excursions Quick List
- Durban city day tour
- Valley of a 1000 Hills day tour
- Isithumba and PheZulu cultural day tour
- Durban township and Freedom Trail tour
- Bushman Paintings and Mandela Capture Site
- Fly fishing day trip
The Detailed Durban Shore Excursions List
I have a number of day tours that would be perfect for cruise guests looking for a shore excursion. In all of the tours listed below, I or one of my fellow guides, will collect you from the cruise ship, spend the day with you and return you to the cruise ship ready for your next port of call.
- Durban City Day Tour – a great opportunity to learn more about the city of Durban as well as try some local foods, visit a traditional Zulu market, tour the oldest botanical gardens in Africa and visit the historic spots of the city.
- Valley of a 100 Hills Day Tour – visit the beautiful Valley of a 1000 Hills, watch a Zulu dance, visit a game reserve and enjoy a bunny chow, the perfect way to spend a day in Durban.
- Isithumba and PheZulu Cultural Day Tour – enjoy a guided tour through a rural Zulu village, meet the sangoma (kinda like a witchdoctor), the headman of the village and make a love bracelet. Then try a bunny chow and then watch a Zulu wedding dance.
- Durban Township and Freedom Trail Day Tour – a bit of history and culture all in a day. Enjoy a tour of the city, visit the home of Mahatma Gandhi, visit Ohlanga Institute (home of the ANC), visit a traditional township, walk through a Zulu market and try some delicious bunny chows or boerewors rolls.
- Bushman Paintings & Mandela Capture Site – head to the mighty Drakensberg mountains and view the rock art of the Bushman people. Then visit the site where Nelson Mandela was captured by the Apartheid forces.
- Fly Fishing Day Trip – if you brought your fly fishing gear along, then join us on a guided fly fishing trip along the Mgeni River for some “yellow’s.” We do have gear for hire as well.
Overnight Tour Shore Excursions From Durban
Often cruise ships stop off in Richards Bay on one day and then depart for Durban the next (or visa versa). This is a great opportunity for cruise passengers to overnight somewhere interesting before re-boarding and continuing their cruise. Here’s the options for an over night shore excursion from either Durban or Richards Bay.
- Two Days in Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve – pick up from the port and head directly to the big 5 reserve, Hluhluwe Imfolozi. Depending on time, you can also visit the Cheetah Project or Elephant experience.
- Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana Overnight – visit two of the most significant battlefield sites in South Africa, Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana. Stay overnight in Rorkes Drift Hotel.
- Fly Fishing Overnight Shore Excursion – head inland and stalk yellows or trout on this great overnight fly fishing trip. You’ll get to fish some of South Africa’s best rivers! If you don’t have you own equipment, we’ll supply.
Bespoke Shore Excursion Options and Booking Contact Form
I like to think that we have a great range of tour itineraries that are perfect for those looking to do Shore Excursions while in Durban, but of course there may be something that you want to do that we don’t offer…yet.
So, if you have your own ideas on what you want to do, then we are more than willing to help plan a bespoke shore excursion to fit in with your time and budget, simply use the contact details below to get in touch.
- Call or WhatsApp on +27 (0) 74 995 6669
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the convenient contact from below:
Why Book a Tour with Durban Safaris and Tours?
- We love Durban and are passionate about showing you how wonderful our city is.
- We have nothing but great reviews on TripAdvisor, ToursByLocals and Google Reviews.
- We are one of the oldest tour operators in Durban.
- We give back!
- we are a legally registered company and all our guides have their permits.
- You will not be disappointed.